In episode 18, I sat down with Edwin Abl, CMO of Modulr a business payments platform company who is building a new digital payment service to make money flow more efficiently through both businesses and the economy.
For those not familiar with Edwin, he’s an experienced P&L leader in the EMEA and international SaaS software sector with deep expertise in revenue generation marketing, business development, enterprise sales, strategy and go-to-market partnerships.
Previously, Edwin led and built marketing at Appirio, Inc. (Global strategic partner of Salesforce.com, Workday and Google) in Europe – $30k – $133M pipeline growth in 4 years (acquired in 2016), helped scale Hive Learning’s marketing function (part of Blenheim Chalcot’s venture portfolio), co-founded 2 companies in the SaaS tech space and worked as a new business / go-to-market advisor to scaling startups.
Being CMO of Modulr, he is responsible for taking to market our unique API driven payments solution, building a team and scaling systemized processes. In his spare time provides mentorship on leadership, sales and marketing.
During our conversation, we discuss:
- Why MQLs are irrelevant
- Why sales teams don’t find personas that useful
- If someone should own the entire marketing and sales funnel
- If Chief Revenue Officers (CROs) will replace the CMO role
- How first-time CMOs should approach their first 100 days, present to a board, and build a world-class team
- The one book Edwin gives all new hires
P.S. Before you go please leave a review on Apple Podcasts 🙂 🙏🏻
- Connect with Edwin on LinkedIn | Twitter
- Modulr: The payments alternative for digital businesses.
- Blenheim Chalcot | Modulr
- Blenheim Chalcot: UK’s leading digital venture builder
- EdwinAbl.com: (Actionable) Advice for Smarketing teams, CMO’s, CRO’s and aspiring revenue leaders
- TonyZambito.com: Buyer leading authority on insights & buyer personas for B2B Marketing
- 7 Predictions for B2B Marketing in 2019 by Edwin Abl
- Chief Revenue Officers: Why They Are Replacing CMO’s by Edwin Abl
- [VIDEO] The Hero’s Journey according to Joseph Campbell
- Mixmax: Gmail-based productivity app for customer-facing teams
- High-Performance Habits: How Extraordinary People Become That Way by Brendon Burchard
- Persuadable: How Great Leaders Change Their Minds to Change the World by Al Pittampalli
- The Hero with a Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell
Did you enjoy this episode? — Then check out the episode I did with Chris Nixon, VP Marketing at CaliberMind where we discuss how to 2x Your B2B Marketing ROI with Chain-Based Attribution.